Dwell on Design returned to the Los Angeles Convention Center April 5 to 7, 2018 for its 13th year. This innovative four day LA design experience welcomed attendees and participants from around the world for a celebration and exploration of modern design through on-stage content, unparalleled educational opportunities, inspiring exhibitions, pre-fab homes, a design trail through LA show rooms, exclusive Home Tours and appearances from iconic influencers and educators of design.
Dwell on Design 2018 Highlights Included:
• Featured speakers on the mainstage included prolific designer Jonathan Adler who discussed his career in design and involvement with charity Project Red. Founder of Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) Paula Wallace covered her vision for the highly regarded institution. Design disruptor Karim Rashid presented about the Future of Design in the digital age. Photographer Seph Lawless discussed his series The Autopsy of America. Artist Janet Echelman discussed her ongoing Public Realm Through Art project.
• Design, etc. LIVE Podcast streamed all of the amazing show floor content and are available online at itunes.
• Some of the brightest joined Dwell on Design to raise the level of discourse with Studio Sessions, topics included, “The Micro Boutique Hotel”, “Social Impact Design”, “The Science of Selling”, “The Immerging Design Discipline of Bioclimatic Architecture” “Tough Terrain, Peculiar Lots”, and “2018 Global Color & Design Forecast”.
• Pre-fab home innovator Method Homes returned with their 6th home, showcasing a two bedroom, two bathroom home for a young California family, with interiors designed by celebrity designer and TV personality Jennifer Farrell. Featured brands in the home include Lanai, Perlick, and Between the Sheets.
• Karma Automotive exhibited their new cutting-edge car, the Revero, offering attendees the chance to drive their sleek all electric vehicle.
• The Hennessy + Ingalls Reading Room hosted a number of book signings with featured speakers and had top design and architecture books available for purchase.
• Prime Edition and The Shop, the gallery-like marketplace offered unique, hand-made designer products from architecturally inspired jewelry to limited edition photography to unique lighting and art. Notable Prime Edition brands include Pandemic Design Studio, Collean Mauer, OneThirtyFour, Dale M Reid Photography, Zimarty, the BUKUL, and dconstruct.
• Dwell Outdoor featured nomadic lifestyle brands including The Living Vehicle, Happier Camper, and Swing Tables encouraging guests to explore and consider a different kind of living off the grid.
• Smartblock exhibited unique functional meeting pods throughout the show floor - where attendees could experience the unique blocks for work or rest.
• Dan Brunn Architecture previewed the Bridge House with a 17 foot long prototype by Cornerstone Brick Design, made of over 100,000 LEGOS. The actual Bridge House will be a 200 foot structure that cradles a brook in Los Angeles, and is part of a ten year collaboration between Dwell and DBA.
• The Modenus Design Trail, by Design Milk & Modenus, offered off-site self-guided tours for design enthusiasts through Los Angeles, covering the coveted Melrose and La Cienega design district in West Hollywood. The trail included shops, showrooms and individual artisans and artist studios, all listed in a specially design Trail Map.
• To kick off and celebrate the fair, Dwell on Design threw an opening night party at The Row @DTLA, a hip enclave of design shops and restaurants.
• Meet the Architects Night, allowed attendees to hear the inspiration, challenges and creative processes from the architects who designed the featured homes of the Home Tours, with a highly-attended cocktail reception at the Pacific Design Center.
• The Home Tours saw record attendance and provided visitors exclusive inside access to some of the most remarkable modern homes found throughout Los Angeles, on both Saturday and Sunday.
• One-on-one consultations were a hit with major home design source Houzz and landscape consultations with LA based ShrubHub. Attendees, free of charge, received design and landscape advice for their homes and garden projects from the top brands throughout the weekend.
Notable Exhibitors Include: AGS Stainless Inc., Aquor Water Systems, Benjamin Moore, Brown Jordan Outdoor Kitchens, Colleen Mauer Designs, Delf Home, Fabrik Magazine, Happier Camper, Henry Company, Houzz, Inc., IVY, Karma Automotive, Kolbe Windows & Doors, LaCantina Doors, Inc., Latitude Doors by Silvelox, LifeSource Water Systems, Inc., Manhattan Stone and Tile, Noon Home, Open Architecture Collaborative, Panoramic Doors, Pella, Republic Flooring, Schluter Systems, SwingTables, The Shade Store, Tresco Lighting, Vicoustic.
Selected Partners & Sponsors Include: ADFF, AIA Los Angeles, ASID Los Angeles, Associate for Women in Architecture + Design, Association of Professional Landscape Designers, BONE Structure, Dan Brunn Architecture, European Home, Greenbuild, Houzz, Hunker, Karma, Lanai, National Kitchen and Bath Association, Sustainable Furnishings Council, and the U.S. Green Building Council, ShrubHub, Sustainable Furnishings Council, Hennessey + Ingalls, Hastens, and the Pacific Design Center.
Dwell is a media and technology brand focused on design and architecture. Through an award-winning magazine that has been published since 2000, and a sharing platform launched in 2016, Dwell offers a comprehensive guide to living with design covering home, culture, lifestyle, and travel.
About Informa, Global Exhibitions
Dwell on Design is part of Informa’s Global Exhibitions Division. With over 200 trade and consumer exhibitions annually, Informa Exhibitions is a global market leader in such end markets as Beauty, Construction & Real Estate, Design, Life Sciences, Maritime, Health & Nutrition, Natural Products, Agriculture and Pop Culture. Through face to face and digital channels, our transaction-oriented exhibitions and trade shows enable communities to engage, experience and do business. In doing so, we bring together people who want to buy and sell, network, do business and gain inspiration. Our industry insight, coupled with our innovative and entrepreneurial approach, provides them with the opportunity to create business advantage and access markets.
Informa Exhibitions is a division of Informa PLC, a leading business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. Informa PLC is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.