Dwell on Design, returned to the Los Angeles Convention Center June 23 - 25, 2017 for its 12th year. This innovative three-day event welcomed attendees and participants from around the world for a celebration and exploration of modern design through onstage content, education for design professionals, inspiring installations, a shopping experience, prefab homes, exclusive Home Tours, and appearances from iconic influencers of design.
Dwell on Design 2017 Highlights Included:
• Featured speakers included esteemed architect Sir David Adjaye, interior designer Martyn Lawrence Bullard, design entrepreneur Christiane Lemieux, design visionary Bruce Mau, restauranteur Nancy Silverton, designer Bradley Bayou, Brandon Quattrone and Mat Sanders of Consort Design, Amanda Dameron, Carlo Caccavale, Christopher Hawthorne, Jaime Derringer, Jamie Rummerfield, Kim Lewis, Lisa Boone, and Meganne Wecker.
• Some of the brightest joined Dwell on Design to celebrate raising the level of discourse, with topics that included, "Personalized Sanctuaries", "Manufacturing Disruption", "Build Your Brand with Instagram", fireside chats, "Alternative Practice: Women Owned & Operated", "Passive Design...Intelligent and Purposeful", "Web Design for Design Minded Brands", "Tough Terrain, Peculiar Lots", and "Powerhouse of Creativity".
• The daily MOD\POD Sessions saw record attendance this year with guests sitting in on a number of educational and informative design sessions, hosted by association partners NKBA, ASID LA and USGBC LA.
• Knoll and Dwell on Design celebrated Florence Knoll’s 100th birthday with a special installation highlighting her inspired brand of modernism.
• Cloth & Company hosted their first-ever design competition, powered by CODAworx, in partnership with Dwell on Design and Bed Bath & Beyond. Five finalists’ textile designs came to life on the show floor as custom produced chairs, with special judges picking the winner. Congratulations to Lauren Bencivengo for winning the competition!
• Meet the Architects Night allowed attendees to hear the inspiration, challenges, and creative processes from the architects who designed the featured homes of the Home Tours, with a highly-attended cocktail reception at the Pacific Design Center.
• The Home Tours saw record attendance and provided visitors exclusive inside access to some of the most remarkable modern homes found throughout Los Angeles, on both Saturday and Sunday.
• Dwell Outdoor transformed more than 15,000 square feet into a botanical lounge and oasis. The popular pavilion featured a prefab from Method Homes and a Joshua Tree-inspired tiny home by Kim Lewis. AutoCamp created their Adventure Experience at Dwell Outdoor, with chic, contemporary Airstreams (by Dan Weber of Anacapa Design), and surrounding lounging areas. Happier Campier displayed three of their popular HC1 models on the floor, amidst the Architecture & Design Film Festival that screened both short and feature design-centric films, with the screen provided by Open Air Cinema.
• Hennessey + Ingalls debuted on the show floor, with their pop-up bookstore, selling the top titles in design and architecture. The Reading Room hosted book signings throughout the weekend including Martyn Lawrence Bullard, Sir David Adjaye, Claire Weisz, and more.
• Four master-built Arckit models – designed, produced, and shipped from Ireland – were on display this year. Arckit is a freeform model-making system that uses connecting, modular components to allow architects and enthusiasts to explore design and architectural concepts. Dwell on Design attendees were also given the chance to win one of five Arckit A360 models.
• The VIP | Media Lounge, powered by RAYDOOR + Harp Design Co., offered members of the press a swanky atmosphere to relax and regroup. The walls and doors of this exclusive lounge were designed and brought to life by RAYDOOR, and the interior and some of the furnishings found inside were custom-made, designed, and supplied by Harp Design Co.
• Prime Edition pavilion returned this year, showcasing studio-based designers and artists who produce custom, one-of-a-kind, and limited-edition works. The Best of Prime Edition
awards, powered by v2com Newswire, were presented on Friday, June 23 in two categories:
• Furniture, Lighting, and Materials: Jewell Hardwoods Custom Furniture
• Work for the Wall & Sculpture: JP Greenwood
Other notable Prime Edition brands included Skidd Studio, Sustainably Sliced, and Tesselle.
Notable Exhibitors Include: A Design Partnership, AGS Stainless, Archoterra, ASID LA, Ally Marks Interiors, Barter Design Co., Bibol, Campaign, Cloth & Company, Concrete Collaborative, Consulate General of Finland, Daltile, Deacero, Dunn-Edwards, Extremis, Fabrik Magazine, Feathr, Fliepaper, Graphisoft, Hansgrohe, Happier Camper, Hästens, Harp Design Co., Jewell Hardwoods Custom Furniture, Kim Lewis Tiny Homes, Knoll, LaCantina Doors, Little by Little, Magisso, Marvin Windows, Method Homes, Nana Wall Systems, Oberon Design, Open Air Cinema, Qualisys, Saroyan Architectural, Secto Design, Skidd Studio, Stahl Firepit, The Shade Store, and Zimarty.
Partners & Sponsors Include: AL-13, A Design Partnership, Archinect, Architectural Record, Architonic, Arckit, AIA Los Angeles, ASID Los Angeles, ASLA (American Society of Landscape Architects), Assembledge+, AutoCamp, AZURE, Benjamin Moore, Bustler, California Home + Design, California Homes Magazine, Caravan Rugs of Beverly Hills, COVER, Daltile, Design Space Media Group, DIGS Magazine, European Home, Extremis, Fabrik Magazine, FORM, Kim Lewis Tiny Homes, Happier Camper, Interiors Magazine, Luxury Pools Magazine, MADWORKSHOP, Modern Magazine, Mohawk, NKBA (National Kitchen & Bath Association), Open Air Cinema, Pasadena Museum of California Art, RAYDOOR, The Retail Observer, USGBC Los Angeles, Sugatsune, The Architects Newspaper, Western Windows, v2com Newswire, and more.
Dwell is a media and technology brand focused on design and architecture. Through an award-winning magazine that has been published since 2000, and a sharing platform launched in 2016, Dwell promotes an architecture that is optimistic and innovative. In December 2016 Dwell launched a collection of products with Target called Modern by Dwell Magazine. Dwell, Dwell Homes, Dwell Prefab, and Dwell on Design are registered trademarks of Dwell Media, LLC. Dwell Media, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary company of Dwell Life, Inc.
About Informa, Global Exhibitions
Dwell on Design is part of Informa’s Global Exhibitions Division. With over 200 trade and consumer exhibitions annually, Informa Exhibitions is a global market leader in such end markets as Beauty, Construction & Real Estate, Design, Life Sciences, Maritime, Health & Nutrition, Natural Products, Agriculture and Pop Culture. Through face to face and digital channels, our transaction-oriented exhibitions and trade shows enable communities to engage, experience and do business. In doing so, we bring together people who want to buy and sell, network, do business and gain inspiration. Our industry insight, coupled with our innovative and entrepreneurial approach, provides them with the opportunity to create business advantage and access markets.
Informa Exhibitions is a division of Informa PLC, a leading business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. Informa PLC is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
The Dwell on Design trademark is used under license and with the permission of Dwell Life, Inc.